- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“On behalf of the AARP Board of Directors, thank you for your letter of September 26, 2007 on your organization’s work on the pros and cons relating to the medical use of marijuana. We appreciate hearing from you and we apologize for the delay of this response.
As your materials indicate, there is still significant medical and legal controversy on this issue. Accordingly, AARP has not taken a position on this topic. It is our general policy to support further study of the safety and efficacy of (non-traditional) complementary and alternative medicine treatments.”
Letter from AARP Member Communications Department to ProCon.org Chairman and Founder Steve Markoff, Dec. 19, 2007 View letter (38 KB)
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
“With over 39 million members, AARP is the leading nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization for people age 50 and over in the United States.
The group is known for providing a host of services to this ever-growing segment of the population by:
- Informing members and the public on issues important to this age group
- Advocating on legislative, consumer and legal issues
- Promoting community service
- Offering a wide range of special products and services to members.”
“Introducing AARP,” AARP website (accessed Sep. 11, 2007)
“AARP is dedicated to enhancing quality of life for all as we age. We lead positive social change and deliver value to members through information, advocacy and service.”
“AARP Mission,” AARP website (accessed Sep. 11, 2007)