- Founder and Executive Director of StoptheDrugWar.org (DRCNet)
- Pro to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“I regularly meet, speak with, and hear accounts of people for whom medical use of marijuana has provided quality in their lives despite challenging physical conditions, beyond the benefits attained by them from other medications. Physicians also confide in me their observations as to the benefits of marijuana for some of their patients. There’s an argument made by opponents of medical marijuana that there are better medications available. I find that argument frustrating, because it’s not the way other medicines are judged; and the reason medicines aren’t judged that way is that isn’t the way medicine works. Each patient is unique, and the right treatment for one is not always the best treatment for another, as my doctor friends know.
To not mislead readers, I should say that I think adults should be able to make their own decisions about marijuana, and drugs generally, whether they have a medical need or not, and I think the attempt to prohibit them has had devastating consequences across a wide range of important social and security concerns. This is also the position of my organization. But we should all agree at least to take patients off the drug war battlefield, as well as the people who provide for their needs.”
Email to ProCon.org, Apr. 18, 2012
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Executive Director, StoptheDrugWar.org (also known as the Drug Reform Coordination Network, or DRCNet), 1993-present
- Writer, Huffington Post, June 2010-Nov. 2010
- Received, “Friend of Students for Sensible Drug Policy” award, 2002
- Executive Editor, Drug War Chronicle
- Member of the Boards of Directors of: Common Sense for Drug Policy, Flex Your Rights and the International Anti-Prohibitionist League, and of the Students for Sensible Drug Policy Council of Advisors
- MM, Jazz Composition, New England Conservatory of Music, 1990
- BA, honors, Astrophysical Sciences, Princeton Univeristy, 1988
- Attended Dwight Morrow High School, 1984
- Born June 8, 1966 in Ridgewood, NJ
- Quoted in: