- Former Member of the US House of Representatives (D-WI)
- Pro to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“If I am terminally ill, it is not anybody’s business on this floor how I handle the pain or the illness or the sickness associated with that illness. With all due respect to all of you, butt out. I did not enter this world with the permission of the Justice Department, and I am certainly not going to depart it by seeking their permission or that of any other authority. The Congress has no business telling people that they cannot manage their illness or their pain any way they need to. I would trust any doctor in the country before I trust some of the daffy ducks in this institution to decide what I am supposed to do if I am terminally ill… When is this Congress going to recognize that individuals in their private lives have a right to manage their problems as they see fit without the permission of the big guy in the White House or the big guy in the Justice Department or any of the Lilliputians on this Congressional floor? Wake up!”
US House of Representatives debate on medical marijuana, June 28, 2006
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Member, US House of Representatives (D-WI), 1969-Jan. 3, 2011
- Ranking Democrat, House Appropriations Committee
- Member, Wisconsin State Assembly, 3-terms, 1963-1969
- Graduate work in Soviet politics, University of Wisconsin
- BA, University of Wisconsin-Madison