- Former Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Con to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“Legalization is not in the president’s vocabulary, and it’s not in mine. Marijuana is dangerous and has no medicinal benefit.”
Press conference following $1.2 billion marijuana raid in Fresno, CA, as quoted in “Drug Czar: Feds Won’t Support Legalized Pot,” by Marc Benjamin of the Fresno Bee, July 22, 2009
[Editor’s Note: Kerlikowske was the Police Chief of Seattle, Washington, where medical marijuana has been legal since 1998. We were unable to find a position statement from him during this period or any time prior to July 22, 2009]
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Commissioner, US Customs and Border Protection, Mar. 7, 2014-present
- Director, Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), “Drug Czar,” May 7, 2009-Mar. 7, 2014
- Chief of Police, Seattle Police Department, July 2000-Feb. 2009
- Recipient, Leadership Award, Police Executive Research Forum (PERF), 2006
- Deputy Director, US Department of Justice, Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, 1998-2000
- President, PERF, 1996-1998
- Police Commissioner of Buffalo, New York, 1994-1998
- Chief of Police, Fort Pierce, Florida, 1990-1994
- Recipient, Gary Hayes National Memorial Award for Innovation in Policing, PERF, 1990
- Chief of Police, Port St. Lucie, Florida, 1987-1990
- Police officer, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1972-1985
- US Army Military Police, 1970-1972
- Former President, Major Cities Chiefs Association
- Former Chairman, Board of Directors of Fight Crime: Invest in Kids
- Former Member, Seattle/King County Advisory Board of the Salvation Army
- Former Adjunct Professor, law enforcement courses, Seattle University
- Recipient, Presidential Service Badge
- Graduated, National Executive Institute at the Federal Bureau of Investigations Academy in Quantico, Virginia, 1984
- MA, Criminal Justice, University of South Florida at Tampa, 1978
- BA, Criminal Justice, University of South Florida at Tampa, 1975
- Legal name is Richard Gil Kerlikowske.
- Born on Nov. 23, 1949.
- Married with two children from his previous marriage.