- Medical Director at the Shropshire and Mid Wales Severn Hospice
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“The primary analysis of change from baseline in mean pain Numerical Rating Scale (NRS) score was statistically significantly in favor of THC:CBD compared with placebo… This study shows that THC:CBD extract is efficacious for relief of pain in patients with advanced cancer pain not fully relieved by strong opioids.”
“Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of THC:CBD Extract and THC Extract in Patients with Intractable Cancer-Related Pain,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management website, Nov. 6, 2009
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Physicians [Physicians are the "key experts" in the medical marijuana debate because the issue is thought by many to be ultimately based on the medical value and risks of marijuana, and Physicians, with their training and clinical work, should (at least in theory) have the best knowledge of marijuana's medical value and risks.] [Note: Key Experts definition varies by sites that have this designation.]
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Medical Director, Shropshire and Mid Wales Severn Hospice
- Consultant, Specialist Palliative Care, Severn Hospice
- Principal Invesitgator, palliative care study sponsored by GW Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- MBChB (Combined Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery/Chirurgery degree), University of Birmingham
- None found