- Research Fellow in Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products at Hebrew University
- Pro to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“The great advantage of treatment with cannabis is the fact that the patient can not overdose. Cannabis is one of the safest drugs known. Experience with its application and exploration of its use as a therapy or for recreational purposes over centuries and millennia has adequately demonstrated that it is a safe drug. It is especially safe for persons of sound mental health. Moreover, the treatment of cannabis is very cheap if it is grown by the patient himself…”
“Cannibus Is One of the Safest Drugs Known, Says Israeli Professor Lumír Hanus,” translated from Czech by Google Translate, zpravy.idnes.cz, June 5, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to medical marijuana. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to medical marijuana issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Research Fellow, Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 2008-present
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Palacký University of Olomouc (Czech Republic), May 2011
- Outstanding Immigrant Scientist, State of Israel, Apr. 2010
- Professor, Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University, 2003-2008
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Masaryk University (Czech Republic), Apr. 2007
- Memorial Medal, Palacký University of Olomouc, Nov. 2006
- Hanuš Medal, The Czech Chemical Society in Prague, Sep. 2005
- Assistant Professor, Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University, 2001-2003
- Doctor of Sciences (the second and highest post-graduate academic degree in the Czech Republic), Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Charles University of Prague (Czech Republic), 1995
- Associate Professor (distinct from the professional position; awarded by the rector after a certain number of years of teaching and after a successful thesis defense), Organic Chemistry, Palacký University of Olomouc, 1994
- CSc (Candidate of Chemical Sciences, equivalent to a PhD), Analytical Chemistry, Palacký University of Olomouc (Czechoslovakia), 1984
- RNDr (Doctor of Natural Sciences, awarded for elaborating a Master’s thesis and colloquially referred to as a “small doctorate”), Palacký University of Olomouc, 1974
- MSc (Master of Sciences), Analytical Chemistry, Palacký University of Olomouc, 1972
- Dr. Hanuš isolated and first described the structure of anandamide, an endogenous cannabinoid neurotransmitter.