- Neuroscience journalist and health writer for TIME magazine
- Pro to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“Last year, the Veterans Administration dropped its policy of prohibiting opioid prescribing to medical marijuana patients in states where it is legal. But even if private physicians wish to permit medical marijuana use among pain patients, it poses a legal risk. Cannabis use can be construed as a ‘red flag’ that was missed, if the patient turns out to be misusing drugs. Doctors can be criminally prosecuted if they are fooled by such patients.
Considering the risks posed by the two types of drugs, the current legal situation makes no sense. Cracking down on medical marijuana while trying to fight overdose is not only a waste of money, but it may also be… actively counterproductive.”
“Could Medical Marijuana Reduce Patients’ Need for Opioid Painkillers?,” healthland.time.com, Dec. 12, 2011
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Neuroscience journalist, published in the New York Times, the Washington Post, Elle, Newsday, New York Magazine, New Scientist, Newsweek, Salon, Redbook, O: the Oprah Magazine, the New York Daily News, the Village Voice, Brill’s Content, Cerebrum, Huffington Post, 60 Second Science (Scientific American blog), etc.
- Health writer for TIME magazine
- Senior Fellow, STATS (Statistical Assessment Service), 2004-present
- Former Series Researcher and Associate Producer, Moyers on Addiction: Close to Home, PBS (Public Broadcasting Service)
- Former Associate Producer and Segment Producer, Charlie Rose, PBS
- Appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, CNN (Cable News Network), The News with Brian Williams, and NPR (National Public Radio)
- Recipient, Edward M. Brecher Award for Achievement, 2005
- Recipient, American Psychological Association (APA) Division 50 Award for Outstanding Contributions to Advancing the Understanding of Addictions, 2004
- Attended Columbia University
- Attended Brooklyn College
- Graduated, Monroe-Woodbury High School, NY
- Lives in New York, NY