- Member of the Wall Street Journal Editorial Board
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“At a press conference last week, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder indicated that President Obama would keep a campaign promise by ending federal raids on medical marijuana dispensaries. This means that the weed will remain illegal to transport and sell -- and thus highly profitable for criminals -- but there will be fewer repercussions for those who use it in states with liberal marijuana laws. The administration says it wants to end federal infringement on the rights of states.
But the consequence of the policy change will be stealth legalization -- which will create the worst of all worlds for countries like Mexico that are asked to fight supply…
By my calculation, that if you lift the prohibition on trafficking pot alone, it would cut mob income by half. It also means that if the U.S. adopts a wink-wink policy of tolerating marijuana use but keeps it officially illegal, the thugs are going to get richer.
It is considered politically risky in the U.S. to argue for lifting the ban on marijuana. But that’s no excuse for Mr. Obama’s policy, which will harm Mexico further. The country has already paid enough for American hypocrisy on drug use.”
“A Stimulus Plan for Mexican Gangsters,” Wall Street Journal, Mar. 2, 2009
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Member, Wall Street Journal Editorial Board, 2005-present
- Editor, “Americas,” weekly column in Wall Street Journal
- Recipient, Bastiat Prize for journalism, 2005
- Senior editorial page writer, Wall Street Journal, Dec. 1999
- Recipient, honorable mention, opinion award category, Inter American Press Association (IAPA), 1999
- Recipient, Daily Gleaner Award for editorial commentary, IAPA, 1997
- Reporter, Wall Street Journal
- Options strategist, product manager and sales manager, Merrill Lynch & Co., 1984-1994
- Options strategist, Thomson McKinnon Securities, 1983
- Options strategist, Advest Inc., 1981-1983
- MBA, Pace University
- BA, English, Assumption College
- Twitter handle: @MaryAnastasiaOG