- Former Representative (R) in the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Con to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“There is a substantial amount of misleading information, causing many to believe that marijuana is harmless and is a panacea and miracle drug for a plethora of medical diseases, when the substantiated medical research that has been conducted up to this point simply does not support these claims.
That’s why the leading professional medical organizations do not support legalization of marijuana outside the FDA approval process.
As a lawmaker, it is not my place to do an end run around the FDA and legalize artisanal drugs that people can grow, make products from and then sell for Commonwealth citizens to take, all without approval of the FDA, and outside what current medical practice allows.”
“Why Oppose Legalizing Marijuana,” sungazette.com, June 11, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to medical marijuana. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to medical marijuana issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Former Representative (R), Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 1993-present
- Majority Chairman, House Health Committee, Pennsylvania House of Representatives
- Member, Board of Governors of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education
- District Legislative Aide, Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 1979-1992
- Former Republican Committeeman, Wellsboro, PA
- BS, Elmira College, 1988
- AAS, Corning Community College, 1979
- None found
- Quoted in: