- Cofounder & Spokesperson for the Realm of Caring Foundation
- Pro to the question "Should Marijuana Be a Medical Option?"
“My six year old daughter, Charlotte, is diagnosed with Dravet Syndrome; a catastrophic pediatric epilepsy. She has significant cognitive and motor delays, brain damage, a surgically placed feeding tube for water and food, struggles to talk and walk, and needs full care in all areas of life…
After getting the green light from our team of neurologists and pediatricians, we started Charlotte at low, non-psychoactive doses [of cannabis] and charted her progress. The first week she went seven days seizure-free, down from the 300 grand mals she had the previous week. Three months into our journey and she was at a solid 90% seizure reduction and free of all pharmaceuticals. Eight months into our journey put her at 99+% seizure reduction.
Along with the seizure control, there are many other benefits she is experiencing from the medical cannabis. Despite being previously 100% tube-fed, she is consistently eating and drinking on her own for the first time in years. She sleeps soundly through the night. Her severe autism-like behaviors of self-injury, stimming, crying, violence, no eye contact, zero sleep, lack of social contact… are a thing of the past. She is clear-headed, focused, has no attention deficit. Charlotte rides horses, skis, paints, dances, hikes. She even has friends for the first time. Her brain is healing. She is healthy. She is happy.”
“Charlotte,” theroc.us, June 13, 2014
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Cofounder and Spokesperson for the 501(c)(3) nonprofit, The Realm of Caring Foundation, which was formed on Aug. 13, 2013, “to provide a better quality of life for those affected by disorders and diseases, including but not limited to, Cancer, MS, HIV/AIDS, Epilepsy, Parkinson’s, through the use of concentrated cannabinoid extracts”
- Founder and Executive Director of the 501(c)(4) advocacy organization, Coalition for Access Now (www.coalitionforaccessnow.org), which is “committed to educating the public and lawmakers on the health benefits associated with natural therapies derived from cannabis for chronic health conditions.”
- Attended Colorado State University
- Mother to Charlotte, who has a form of epilepsy called Dravet Syndome, and inspired the name Charlotte’s Web for a high-CBD, low-THC marijuana oil
- Married to Matt Figi, a former Special Forces Staff Sergeant
- Featured in WEED, a CNN documentary by Dr. Sanjay Gupta
- Testified in favor of medical marijuana before the New York State Assembly, Wisconsin Legislature, Florida Legislature and other states considering medical marijuana laws
- Quoted in: